Sunday, June 6, 2010

Ghosts of Stonewall Jackson Training School







Daniel was 15 when he was sentenced to Stonewall Jackson Training School, a juvenile detention facility built in 1909, for first degree manslaughter of his father.












He was not a hardened criminal, but had acted out of love for his mother who would have surely died that night in 1947 by the hands of her abusive husband.


In less than 3 years at the reform school, Daniel had passed from the maximum security cottage to the minimum security cottage.






He was now able to work and move around freely on the 293 acres the school encompassed.


Every evening Daniel's job was to clean and lock the school's chapel.











Soon he would be 18 and a free man, but the thought saddened him; he was in love with Ellie Blum, a raven haired beauty, and the daughter of the school's administrator.

Ellie's family lived in the upper level of the Administration building.

In the evenings she would volunteer to close the entrance gates to the school so she could see Daniel.



From his vantage point, Daniel patiently waited for Ellie to leave before he went to the church.















He would cross the bridge which connected the school's property to the other side of the road on his route to the church.


Below the bridge was a country road the local teenagers often used for street racing usually
after consuming too much alcohol.










After closing the gates, Ellie would make her way to the chapel by crossing the road beyond the bridge, and out of sight from her parent's watchful eyes.


They would rendezvous for the few precious minutes they would have.









Under a full moon but very foggy night in 1950, the young couple began their nightly trek.







Daniel was on the bridge as he waited for Ellie to cross the road. It was a night so foggy you could not see beyond your own arm.
Behind him on the other side of the bridge, Daniel heard the rumble of engines and the screeching of tires.
In a matter of seconds the cars would be speeding under the bridge heading in Ellie's direction.
Other than jumping there was no time or faster way to get off the bridge to get within hearing range to warn Ellie.

Daniel jumped, but in doing so he shattered his ankle and was unable to save himself or the girl he wanted to spend the rest of his life with.
Over the last 60 years, whenever there is a full moon, especially on a foggy night, you can see Daniel and Ellie as they continue their nightly journey into each others arms.





Stonewall Jackson Training School was the perfect setting for my story with its many period style buildings in their current state of disrepair. In daylight it had a spook factor that could only be surpassed by moonlight and a little fog. Both of these effects I felt would help set the stage for a good ghost story. Old houses are often portrayed in film and television as the backdrop for unsettled spirits to haunt. I wanted to add some historical facts about the school to add a bit of reality to the narrative. The first step in my process was to change the photographs into black and white which I felt added an ominous feel to the pictures. By removing the sky from the background, and adding a layer of stormy sky over each photo, I was able to simulate nighttime. The fog was necessary to tie in the tragic events which led to my couple's premature deaths, as well as adding to the stereotypical scary atmosphere. After having my friends pose in what I hoped looked 1950's attire, I cut and pasted their pictures on a different layer. I changed the size and adjusted the opacity to achieve the ghostly effects of my characters. Each picture was specifically placed to aid in the progression of the narrative. I felt the bridge picture supporting the welcome sign to Stonewall Jackson was a good introduction to the location and to the story. The sequence of the images provides a visual aid for the events as they unfolded. The picture of the moon was used to add to the atmosphere of the setting because we all know how weird things happen on full moons. I took the picture in my astronomy lab last year by utilizing an observatory telescope. If I were to change the order of the photographs, it would dictate changing the events of the story, and perhaps the fate of my protagonists.

13 comments:

  1. Hi Laura...Your visual narrative is my favorite! Totally stands on its own without words. Really well done!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was there in 1967 at the age 13 for car theft. I was there for one year and one day, in cottage 9. Mr Eudy was there for his first year. When I left I had 37 or so writeups. One away from the record. I worked in the bakery for most of the time. Mrs Bost was in charge of the cafeteria. I was abused plenty and had to fight a lot. We had what was called the Bear, the toughest fighter. I saw boys coming from cottage 15 where detention was. This was the workers for the dairy. These boys entire back sides and legs were black from the beatings. Corporal punishment has since beed abolished, but not when I was there. At the rate North Carolina is going they will start putting pad-locked tops on cribs as they leave the nursery. The place turned out a first class hood. Since then I have done an additional 15 years. It all ended when I left N.C

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was put there in 1958, August 18 and stayed there a solid year, plus 30 min. and would like to post a write-up I've been working for quite some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to hear your story. I resurching the history of jackson. Do you happen to know when it closed ? Thank you !

      Delete
    2. Stonewall Jackson has not closed down. There is a new building behind the old ones...Lisa Rudisill a Charlotte native and former employee of The UM Children's Home in Winston-Salem, also opened in 1909 as an orphanage

      Delete
  4. i have a great uncle who just passd his name was Joseph Lynn Garrison. He used to tell me stories about this place and tell me how he was abused and the story all started bc he spit in another boys face bc the other boy slapped him and he was 8. So he got sent here. and one day in the dorm room he was coming from the bathroom and then went up stairs and got shoved out a window and broke 4 ribs and his left leg. when he came home his mom was still alive he just turned 18 he was there for 10 years and 4 days and she took pictures of him and he had bruises and cuts and welts all over him...... Where those photos are now i do not know but im glad i didnt have to go......

    ReplyDelete
  5. The book needs to be written ! Ill keep searching for somone to tell The story of sjt ! The good (as they thought ) and the bad ! A book is a good idea, a true fact based movie is what i strive for ! Wount to help ? Im zomiehunter1@gmail.com list the subject : jts. I will reply !!!! Im working hard for your storys to be told , no bullshit here, but i need your inputs , thank you so much !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The book needs to be written ! Ill keep searching for somone to tell The story of sjt ! The good (as they thought ) and the bad ! A book is a good idea, a true fact based movie is what i strive for ! Wount to help ? Im zomiehunter1@gmail.com list the subject : jts. I will reply !!!! Im working hard for your storys to be told , no bullshit here, but i need your inputs , thank you so much !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am somewhat confused. Is the story you wrote about the boy and girl NOT a real story? If so, I would not publish it for there really ARE ghosts and those stories should be honest ones to the best of people's ability...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was there Nov. 1963 to Nov 1964 I was in cottage 7 Mr. and Mrs. Padgett were my cottage parents. I worked in the bakery my supervisor was Mr. Irvin. When I went home kids didn't act the same toward me, I thought they were afraid of me but they thought they were better than me so had problems & went back in 1965 I think.Me and 2 others got caught smoking and was going before the disciplinary committee so I ran away I was only 14 the first time. thank God I never got caught and sent back. I am 70 years old now and I still think about the cruelty that was put on us.Thats a long time for something to stay on your mind.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gene Ray
    I am unknown in the post before forgot to enter my name.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I went there as a 15 year old boy in 1975 for petty theft. Originally in cottage 7, all three of the boys cottages moved to a new three wing building next to the football field. There was one group of girls.
    When I got there, somehow I didn't get checked in with the classroom so I never went to class. I cut grass in the morning and cooked supper but finally I just cooked.
    When all the boys moved to new building I became the head trustee. Probably because there were no other trustees. When I was being released is when they discovered that I hadn't been in school so they ran me through the GED program. I enjoyed it there. It was way better than life at home.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello everyone. I wanted to thank the original author for her due diligence on her post. I mean no disrespect with my post.

    My name is Katherine Cobo. I am doing research on the Stonewall Jackson Manual Training School for Boys, and would like to have a discussion with any willing persons that spent time there. This information could potentially be used for a book I am working on, as well as any future works- with your permission of course.
    I can be reached at katherine.coborosado@snhu.edu for those who are interested. Thank you, and have a wonderful evening.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am a BLS major at UNCG and I just started a new job in the Hospitality Industry. I hope to manage a five star hotel one day.